2D/3D Chairs by Yoichi Yamamoto for Issey Miyake

When viewed from outside an Issey Miyake store in Tokyo, the blue chairs installed in the shop’s window by Japanese architect Yoichi Yamamoto appear to be just another collection of ordinary chairs, but in reality, they’re just wooden backs fixed to the floor – it’s the legs painted onto the ground that, from a fixed angle, appear in the correct perspective and make the chairs look whole. The installation is called 2D/3D Chairs.

Via dezeen.com

Similar Posts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

7 Responses to 2D/3D Chairs by Yoichi Yamamoto for Issey Miyake

1. Great design!, i was wondering where the rest of the chair is until i read the end or the post, very creative

2. Biro Tomodachi says:

great to see more entries and glad to hear all is well at chair blog. I moved a year ago and I’m still settling in. how to fit all my favourite chairs and where to put them. maybe this post offers inspiration painting the chairs on the floor. :)

3. Julia Osovskaya says:

@Biro, and then if all else fails, you still have the walls and the ceiling lol How many chairs do you own, may I ask? I’m just curious :)

4. Biro Tomodachi says:

recently downsized to a four room cottage and had to part with some chairs. currently living alone with 4 dining chairs, 1 cafe style booth bench, 4 arm chairs, 4 chairs, 3 wooden stools, 2 foot stools, 1 danish style sofa, 1 eames replica office chair and 1 bean bag chair. few more stored in the garage. most of these chairs are old and have stories. making plans to replace one or two and to get a few more iconic pieces + a jimmy possum occasional https://www.jimmypossum.com.au/default.aspx

5. Julia Osovskaya says:

Wow, this is quite a collection!! As for Jimmy Possum – I like those bright upholsteries!

6. Biro Tomodachi says:

Thanks. I simply woke up one day and realised I had collected a few chairs. It maybe meant I liked chairs? I’m sure all the contributors of chair blog must have some interesting chairs too!

7. Julia Osovskaya says:

As for me personally, I only really own 1 chair, the one that’s in my room – it’s Her by Fabio Novembre for Casamania :)